MMC (MFL, Media and Computing)

The MMC faculty is comprised of a number of subjects that build the vital communication skills needed in today’s working world.

Modern Foreign Languages

Successful language learning engenders cultural and social understanding and empathy.  In the Modern Foreign Language department, we aim to promote language confidence and skills for real-world purposes as well as academic. 

Our students are offered opportunities to practise their language skills in context and to learn more about other countries through an extensive and interactive programme which supports them at all abilities and stages as they progress towards becoming confident and successful communicators.

Media Studies

Media Studies is designed to empower students with research, marketing, and practical design skills on various technologies and software including PhotoShop, GameMaker and the Adobe Premier Pro video editing suite They also develop organisational and production skills in video and game design as well as the ability to evaluate their own work and provide feedback to others.

Students build on group communication skills and are encouraged to develop leadership qualities; ultimately giving them the confidence to pitch ideas, give presentations and collaborate on creative projects. Skills which are vital in any career or profession students are interested in pursuing. Media Studies it is a subject which students get enormous pleasure from, they leave the course with an industry related qualification and the ability to question what they see and hear in the media, rather than just accepting it

Computing

“A high-quality computing education equips students to use computation thinking and creativity to understand and change the world.  Computing has deep links with mathematics, science, design and technology” (extract from the Computing programmes of study by the Department for Education). 

Computer Science is the study of information and computation, how digital systems work and how to put this knowledge to use through programming.    All students study Computer Science during years 7 and 8.  At Key Stage 4 they have the option to follow a GCSE programme of study.  This is a highly motivating course and enables students to develop the knowledge and skills needed to become competent Computer Science practitioners.

Digital Literacy teaches students to be able to use, express themselves and develop their ideas through information and communication technology as active participants in a digital world.  Students in all years follow a programme of study in Digital Literacy.    Students learn how to use technology safely, respectfully, responsibly and securely, including how to protect their online identity and privacy.    Interwoven with digital literacy skills are the ICT skills which enable students to undertake creative problems and combine multiple applications across a range of devices, with the aim that our students become responsible, competent, confident and creative users of information and communication technology.

Mrs S Brautigam
Head of Faculty